As an integrative medicine physician, I believe in healing-oriented medicine that takes account of the whole person, including body, mind and spirit. I recognize the importance of the therapeutic relationship. Together, we will explore your life goals in order to optimize health and wellbeing. If you already have developed signs and symptoms of disease, then we will explore the meaning behind what you are currently experiencing creating meaningful solutions to restore health and wellbeing.
Now I wear another hat. As an integrative health coach, our partnership empowers you to make lasting health behavior changes that are the cornerstones of lifelong well-being. It bridges the gap between medical recommendations (my integrative medicine and cardiology hat) and your abilities to successfully implement those recommendations into your complex life (my integrative health coach hat).
Integrative Health Coaching
What is integrative health coaching?
- Client-centered partnership. An integrative health coach forms a partnership with individuals or groups of individuals to empower and support them in achieving their personal goals related to optimal health and wellness.
- Evidence-based practice interventions
- Acknowledges the interdependent roles of mind, body and spirit on health and wellbeing.
- Recognizes the innate healing capacity within each person
- Emphasis on self-care.
How is integrative health coaching different from integrative medicine?
- Emphasis on therapeutic relationship that inspires and advocates for individuals on their health journey.
- Integrative health coaching is not used to inform, prescribe or treat. However, when situations arise, my medical training allows my to address medical needs as they arise.
For more details see my recent post.
Integrative Cardiology Services:
As a cardiologist, I am well trained in the diagnosis and management of cardiovascular disease. As an integrative cardiologist, my goal is to help you find your best solutions for the prevention and reversal of heart disease.
Cardiovascular Wellness Consultations
As an integrative cardiologist, my focus is on the prevention and reversal of heart disease and its risk factors while optimizing health and wellbeing.
Comprehensive cardiovascular wellness assessment
- Extensive review of personal history
- Comprehensive laboratory assessment to further define risk and cause of disease
- Vascular health assessment with EndoPAT™, an novel noninvasive test to determine the health of arteries (see below)
- Assessment of autonomic nervous system to determine if stress may be increasing cardiovascular risk
- Selective cardiac imaging, as needed
Comprehensive Cardiovascualr Wellness solutions
- Prevention and reversal heart disease
- Management of cardiovascular risk factors such as diabetes, high blood pressure, elevated cholesterol and weight management
- Integrative health solutions using a holistic approach to health and well-being
- Embraces the natural healing capacity starting with natural remedies that support health and healing
- Emphasizes the importance of healing the body, mind and spirit for optimal health
- Collaboration with other members of your health care team
In partnership with you, I offer you my personalized and enhanced services as an investment in your health and wellbeing. In order to provide you this scope of service, I no longer participate with insurance, Medicare or Medicaid.
The cost of an initial consult is $375 with a wide range of packages available for diagnostic testing and follow-up.
Integrative Health and Medicine Consultations
An innovative, multidisciplinary and collaborative care model focusing on health restoration. Our holistic and integrative practitioners are ready to partner with you on your health journey. Our team is led by integrative medicine and naturopathic physicians who work with an assortment of gifted healers prepared to help heal from the inside out.
- Integrative medicine physicians (MD/DO)
- Naturopathic physicians (ND)
- Traditional Chinese medicine and acupuncture (RAc)
- Dietitians, nutritionists and nutrition health coaches
- Professional health coaching
- Movement and somatic awareness specialists
- Massage therapy
- Energy and spiritual medicine
For more information or to schedule an appointment contact the office nearest you.
KardiaMobile by AliveCor
Peace of mind in your pocket.
Take a medical-grade EKG anytime, anywhere. In just 30 seconds, detect normal heart rhythm or AFib.
This heart rate and rhythm monitoring technology is available through my office to help you detect the cause of palpitations or irregularity in heart rhythm. It is also proven technology for detection of arrhythmias such as atrial fibrillation.
Take away the guess work, make an appointment today.
EndoPAT™: Finding Vascular Disease Before It Finds You!
This 15 minute test is performed just like taking a blood pressure but much more information is obtained. This test assesses the health of the lining of your blood vessels, otherwise known as endothelial function. The healthier your endothelial function the lower the risk for heart attacks, strokes, poor circulation, gangrene and many other chronic conditions.
- It is safe and simple
- Highly accurate and reproducible
- Scientifically validated
- Requires no medications or radiation exposure
Learn more about the EndoPAT™ test
The average adult has over 100,000 miles of blood vessels contained in their body. These vessels provide the nutrients to the cells, tissues and organs of the body. The lining of these vessels is called the endothelium. A healthy endothelium is responsible for the delivery of nutrients and removal of unwanted toxins from each and every cell of the body. These cells become sick when blood flow is impaired as a result of endothelial dysfunction, which can lead to a multitude of chronic adverse health conditions such as heart disease and neurodegenerative disorders like dementia.
Be pro-active in reducing your risk for heart disease and many other chronic health conditions.
Who should take the EndoPAT™ test
The earlier you diagnose a cardiac condition and initiate a cardio-protective program, the better off you are. Typical candidates include men between the ages of 40 and 70 and women between the ages of 50 to 70 with one or more of the following risk factors for heart disease:
- Cigarette smoking
- Elevated cholesterol level
- Family history of heart disease (sudden death, heart attack, or need for angioplasty or bypass surgery) in a first-degree male relative (parents or siblings) 55 years old or less, or a first-degree female relative 65 years old or less.
- High blood pressure
- Sedentary lifestyle
If you have multiple risk factors, or one particularly severe risk factor, you need to talk to your physician about earlier intervention. For example, if you are a 35-year-old male and your father died at the age of 41 of a heart attack, an EndoPAT test would be warranted.
If you have a genetic markers that predicts increased risk for cardiovascular disease then period surveillance of endothelial function may be warranted.
If you are interested in pursuing health optimization then screening can be done at any age.
Follow these simple instructions for your EndoPAT™ test:
- Take your normal medications
- Avoid eating at least 4 hours prior to the test
- Avoid coffee, tea, soft drinks containing caffeine, energy drinks, chocolate, or orange juice for 12 hours prior to the test
Contact the office location nearest you to schedule your EndoPAT™ test today.
* David Johnson, MD is an independent practitioner at Grand Rapids Natural Health and Sleeping Bear Natural Health.